Thursday, March 31, 2011

Nairobi Trip


Now you probably wonder why I would start this post with a picture of an air sickness bag when writing about my weekend in Nairobi.   This bag represents the first day of our trip.   We left Mombasa at 1pm on Friday for a 45 minute flight to Nairobi on Kenyan Air.  After the overnight bus journey to Nairobi when headed to Masai Mara we both decided it was worth the extra money to fly.   At the airport in Mombasa I  had a bite to eat then boarded our plane.   While still in the airport I started to not feel 100% and by 30 minutes into our flight I was feeling quite ill.  I was sweating, extremely dizzy and had horrible nausea.  By the time we were landing I told my travel companion, Olivia, I did not think I could get off the plane.   We were in the very back and at this airport everyone deplanes using stairs down to the tarmac.  We waited on the plane while everyone disembarked and I collapsed in a moaning pile of misery across a row of seats.  Olivia contacted the crew to let them know we needed a wheelchair and medical assistance.   At this point the air sickness bag became my best friend.   I was so sick I felt like death.   They finally got a wheelchair and took me out the back side door down the cargo lift and to the Nairobi Airport Medical Facility.   Let's just say if you weren't really sick before, going to their airport medical facility will ensure that you are.   The bed was covered in dirty towels and the pillow had dried blood stains on it.  However give my symptoms and the possibility of malaria it was important that I get checked out.   Good news, no malaria, bad news I still felt like death.  However when they discussed having me taken by ambulance to a local hospital as well as giving me a huge shot in the bum right there I rallied enough to get in a cab and head to the Hilton to recover.   We managed to get me to the hotel and into bed to rest and by later that night I began to feel much better.  We conclude that I got food poisoning from what I ate in the Mombasa Airport and when I told this story to my host family there first words were "you should NEVER eat anything in the Mombasa Airport".  Who knew!


Modern health care (notice the towel)

I cannot believe I let Olivia take this and am posting it!


In the taxi headed to the hotel.  I looked like death warmed over!


However by Saturday I was feeling up to sightseeing in Nairobi and had my full appetite back.  My host, Billy, had arranged for his driver, Paul for the 2 days.  He arrived at 9:30am and off we went to see Nairobi.  First stop was the National Museum.   Though a small museum by western standards, it houses some of the oldest bones and artifacts of prehistoric man in the world.   Seeing evolution through these bones was fascinating.  Anyone with any interest in archeology or anthropology would love this museum.



 

In front of the National Museum.  Note I had on a jacket.  It was a nice morning!


Brigid and Olivia at the museum


Yes this is a real elephant 


In front of a cool statue at the museum

Directly across from the museum we saw this building under construction.  This is an example of typical Kenyan construction.   I am very glad they do not have earthquakes here in Kenya.   




After the museum we headed about 15 miles out of town to a a community called Karen.  Karen is one of the wealthy suburbs of Nairobi where many of the top government officials and business leaders live.  It looked like any upper class neighborhood in the US with  houses behind gates, beautiful manicured gardens, and large mansions.   We went to the town of Karen to see the Karen Blixen Museum.  The book Out of Africa was written by Karen Blixen and was based on her life.   The museum is located in her house which has been preserved just as it was when she lived in it. 


The front of the Karen Blixen House Museum


The entry to the museum


At the restaurant near the Karen Blixen museum


Enjoying a nice lunch outside


After lunch we went to a place called Kazuri Beads and Pottery factory.   Kazuri was started back in 1975 to help single mothers learn a trade and support themselves financially.  Today over 300 women work at Kazuri and their beads and pottery are sold all over the world.  For my girlfriends, I did some jewelry shopping for all of you!   







We ended our Saturday with a delicious dinner at what is currently considered the top restaurant in Nairobi, called Pango.  We got all glammed up and for the first time since arriving in Kenya I put on makeup and looked stylish.   My no muss, no fuss mantra was put aside for one night. You know me I travel on my stomach and painstakingly researched where to eat dinner.   The restaurant did not disappoint.  For those of you foodies here is link to the menu.   http://online.co.ke/eatout/files/menus/fairview/pango.pdf


Olivia and Brigid enjoying a 5 star meal


The salad in front of me was slivered apples, and dates with blue cheese and balsamic reduction along with a nice glass of bordeaux.   HEAVEN!   


We awoke on Sunday morning to continue with our two favorite pastimes, eating and shopping.   We decided to go explore an area called Village Market in the suburb of Gigiri.   Both the UN and US Embassy compounds are located in this town.  Like Karen it is an affluent area, though much more urban than Karen and closer to the central business district of Nairobi.   I'd heard about a hotel called The Tribe and wanted to see it because it was voted one of the top 10 hippest hotels in the world last year by Conde Naste.  http://www.tribe-hotel.com/ I had a hard time believing such a cool hotel would be located in a suburb of Nairobi but was I wrong.  It was amazing and totally hip.   I'd love to stay there sometime when I go back to Nairobi but rooms start at almost $400 US a night so I'll probably just drop in for a drink.   Here are some pictures of Olivia and me at it.   








After touring the hotel we went across the street to village market for a delicious brunch at Cafe Artist and a bit more shopping.   From there our driver Paul  took us to the airport for our journey back to Mombasa.  We were both sad to leave after having such a great weekend and experiencing cooler weather.   I plan to go back again during my stay here in Kenya.   


Sunday brunch-yummy!


Real Kenyan coffee, no Nescafe!


Shopping at Village Market Center

2 comments:

  1. Now you are ready for the late night hot dog and sticky bun from your average US airport :-)
    Nice photos from "Near Robbery"!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm SO GLAD you found Kazuri! They are fantastic beads, aren't they? I'm guessing from your post you didn't go to the Giraffe nursery/sanctuary in Karen? It's right next to the Blixen museum.

    Glad you're still having a great experience!! Thanks for writing so much, it's fun to follow along. - Taya

    ReplyDelete