Thursday, March 17, 2011

More on my family life

I feel very fortunate because I am living with a wonderful family in a very nice house.   The father Billy is a successful entrepreneur.  He owns a lumber business as well as part of a Tuk Tuk and motorcycle distribution business.   Earlier in his career he worked for a German industrial company running sales for sub Saharan Africa and has travelled extensively in Europe, Africa and Asia.   He's very "western" in his style and thinking and is quite a success story, having come from a poor area of Mombasa, called Likoni, and one of seven children.   Joyce, his wife, is from a small town in western Kenya called Kisi and is one of ten children.  Her father owns a large tea and coffee farm.  Joyce works with Billy running the lumber business and also owns a small cosmetics retail shop.   Unlike Billy, Joyce has not ever travelled outside of Kenya though I'm hoping to change that and have invited them visit me in the US when I return.   I did not realize how hard it is for the average Kenyan to get a VISA to visit the US though with my sponsorship they should be able to obtain one.   As for the two children, Sam and Steven, I have grown extremely close to them.  They are both handfuls and can exasperate me at times due to all the attention they require but they have enriched my home life.   I will have little Kenyan nephews for the rest of my life.  I've taken to spoiling them a bit and have bought Steven books, games, and puzzles.   Earlier this week I bought Sam his first tricycle.   It took him about a day to figure out how to pedal and now I cannot get him off of it.  

Sam acting goofy with my sunglasses

Sam and his dad Billy



Sam and his mom, Joyce

Teaching Sam to ride his trike

Sam fell asleep on the dining room table watching me work on my laptop


Sam with his nanny, Caro


Stephen and Sam

Brigid, Stephen and Eugene playing Chinese Checkers




1 comment:

  1. I have read every word of your blog up to this latest post. It's surreal to hear these stories of your new life and juxtapose them against what we do when we got together in San Francisco. You made the right decision to go and I love hearing about your experiences. You look beautiful and happy - the hair, tan, clothing and enormous smile - going native. The mexican meal must have been a treat - can't imagine how you found all the ingredients. All is well here - you know my motto, no news is good news. Big hug and kisses and I'll await your next entry.

    BTW, can you notify people by email when you have a new post?

    Update: I am trying to post this and it asks me to select a profile and it gets kicked back. This may be stopping others from posting. OK, I think I figured it out, but not easy. xoxo

    ReplyDelete